terms and conditions
These terms & conditions are agreed to between HIPPOtrip – Turismo Anfíbio, Lda., a Maritime-Tourism operator with Registration # 304 / 2012 and fiscal identification # 508 955 165, whose headquarters are located on Rua do Açúcar # 76, Warehouse # 23, 1950-009 Lisbon, hereafter designated as HIPPOtrip and any person, hereafter designated as CUSTOMER, who intends to purchase tickets for any sightseeing tour described on the HIPPOtrip website (www.hippotrip.com)
The purchase of any service provided by HIPPOtrip depends on the registration of data related to the CUSTOMER based on the information requested at the time of purchase, including full name, address, email, and telephone number, as well as full and unreserved acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
The CUSTOMER declares to be of legal age (18 or older) and have the legal capacity to understand and engage in the acquisition of services provided by HIPPOtrip in accordance with the provisions of these Terms and Conditions.
HIPPOtrip guarantees the existence of the tours published on its website (www.hippotrip.com) on the date of their consultation and agrees to use all means at its disposal to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the information, non-assuming, however, in any case, any liability if the information provided is not accurate or complete.
HIPPOtrip reserves the right to change, add or delete in whole or in part, these Terms and Conditions which take effect after its publication on the www.hippotrip.com website, being the CUSTOMER always subject to the Terms and Conditions at force on the date of purchase.
The Terms and Conditions have been prepared in accordance with the provisions of Decree-Law 7/2004 of 7 January, amended by Decree-Law 62/2009 of 10 March, Decree-Law 143/2001 of 26 April, and Decree-Law 82/2008 of 20 May, as well as other applicable Portuguese legislation.
1. The subject of this contract is the purchase of tickets by the CUSTOMER for the service provided by HIPPOtrip, identified on the site www.hippotrip.com, for the prices referred at the time of purchase.
2. Tickets can be purchased online via the HIPPOtrip website www.hippotrip.com, by phone at +351 211 922 030, in person at one of the HIPPOtrip ticket offices (departure point @ Docas de Santo Amaro in Alcântara, Lisbon or mobile ticket booth located near the Monument of the Discoveries, Lisbon) or via an authorised 3rd party Vendor such as Online Travel Agencies (OTAs), Official “Ask Me” Lisbon Tourism Kiosks and local hotel/kiosk partners.
3. The procedures for the purchase of tickets online are listed on the website www.hippotrip.com and the CUSTOMER must follow them until its formalization, which will only be possible after the expressed and unreserved acceptance of the Terms and Conditions that are available for review via the aforementioned website (www.hippotrip.com).
4. The procedures for the purchase of tickets by phone on +351 211 922 030 are those indicated by the HIPPOtrip employee at time of purchase and the CUSTOMER must follow them until its formalization, which is only possible after the expressed and unreserved acceptance of the Terms and Conditions that are available for review via the website www.hippotrip.com.
5. The procedures for the purchase of tickets in person at a HIPPOtrip ticket office are those indicated by the HIPPOtrip employee at time of purchase and the CUSTOMER must follow them until its formalization, which is only possible after the expressed and unreserved acceptance of the Terms and Conditions that are available for review at HIPPOtrip ticket office at time of purchase as well as via the website www.hippotrip.com.
6. The procedures for the purchase of tickets via an authorised 3rd party Vendor are those indicated by that the 3rd party Vendor at time of purchase and the CUSTOMER must follow them until its formalization, which is only possible after the expressed and unreserved acceptance of the Terms and Conditions that are available for review via the website www.hippotrip.com, with the exception of ticket pricing, payment processing, and invoicing procedures, which are replaced by those established by the 3rd Party Vendor.
7. Ticket prices indicated on the website www.hippotrip.com or by HIPPOtrip employee at time of purchase are in euros and include VAT at the prevailing rate.
8. HIPPOtrip reserves the right to change the price of the tickets, as well as to suspend or cancel their sale temporarily or permanently, at any time and without notice. However, the rights deriving from purchases made by the CUSTOMER that occurred in the meantime, shall be preserved.
9. HIPPOtrip tickets are sold for a specific date and time and the CUSTOMER can only make changes by request emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a minimum of 96 hours prior to the tour start date/time of the tickets. The change of the date and/or time of the tickets will only take effect after written confirmation of availability by HIPPOtrip.
10. Online payments are only possible using a debit or credit card (VISA, Mastercard, Maestro or American Express). The CUSTOMER will have to indicate the necessary data for payment processing, including card number, expiry date and CVV code, which will be inserted into the Stripe online payment platform. For in person sales, cash and ATM payments are also accepted.
11. The procedure of purchasing tickets online will be completed with the introduction of the data referred in the previous paragraph and respective validation by the Stripe online payment platform, after which a proof of payment (ticket) will be automatically sent to the CUSTOMER via email.
12. Following payment confirmation, HIPPOtrip will issue an invoice that will be sent via email to the CUSTOMER by the end of the day for both online and in person ticket sales. If for any reason the CUSTOMER does not receive the invoice in the aforementioned timeframe, then please contact HIPPOtrip by email email@example.com in order to confirm the CUSTOMER fiscal identification details and email address.
13. The CUSTOMER is fully responsible for the fate of the tickets, including non-use, loss, theft or destruction and will not, by virtue of those situations claim any compensation or damages from HIPPOtrip.
1. The CUSTOMER may terminate this contract and request the refund of the full amount of purchase without payment of any compensation and without any specific reason, within a maximum of 48 hours after confirmation of payment, provided that the time limit of 96 hours before the tour date/time of tickets purchased is not exceeded.
2. The right of free contract termination by the CUSTOMER shall be exercised in accordance with the time limits specified in the preceding paragraph, upon notice by the CUSTOMER sent via e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Upon receipt of notice of termination of this contract and upon validation of compliance of the deadlines, HIPPOtrip will provide a full refund of the price paid by the CUSTOMER, within 30 days via the same payment method used in the purchase process.
The pick-up and drop-of location for the service provided by HIPPOtrip is in Doca de Santo Amaro in Alcântara, Lisbon, directly opposite the Rowing Section of the Naval Association of Lisbon.
1. HIPPOtrip tickets are sold for a specific date and time. If the CUSTOMER (and all members included in their booking) is not present near the designated boarding area at the pick-up location on the date and time of the ticket purchased, then HIPPOtrip reserves the right to cancel the purchase and the CUSTOMER will not be entitled to any refund or damages from HIPPOtrip. For this reason, all the passengers must be present at the pick-up point at least 20 minutes before departure time.
2. Considering that the vehicles used by HIPPOtrip are mechanical and that they circulate in public spaces, HIPPOtrip may have to cancel a scheduled tour for a particular day/time at short notice or even during the journey itself. In these situations, HIPPOtrip will make every possible effort to accommodate the CUSTOMER on the next available tour and, if not possible or desired by the CUSTOMER, a full refund shall be made. CUSTOMER accepts that not claim any other compensation or damages from HIPPOtrip beyond the refund issued.
3. HIPPOtrip operates rain or shine. Keep in mind that HIPPOtrip vehicles are open sided and that conditions on the River Tagus are often cooler/windier than on land, so please dress appropriately.
4. All instructions and commands given by HIPPOtrip staff, both at time of boarding, as well as while aboard its vehicles and inside its facilities, must be followed and respected in order to maintain the appropriate safety conditions.
5. The CUSTOMER must present his/her ticket (in digital format or paper) when boarding any HIPPOtrip vehicle, if requested by HIPPOtrip staff.
6. During the COVID 19 pandemic, HIPPOtrip has implemented the following mitigating measures:
a) Use of a mask is mandatory to access HIPPOtrip facilities/vehicles and must be worn at all times (regardless of a passenger age); children between 2 and 5 years old may, exceptionally, use a visor instead of a mask; HIPPOtrip reserves the right to deny access and/or permanence in any of its facilities/vehicles to any CUSTOMER who refuses to comply;
b) The CUSTOMER must comply at all times with the instructions/indications that are posted at the entry points to HIPPOtrip facilities/vehicles, including the use of designated entrances and exits as identified;
c) Only one CUSTOMER at a time is allowed at each of our customer service counters at the HIPPOtrip departure point ticket office in order to maintain a safety distance of 2 meters between customers;
d) CUSTOMER must disinfect hands prior to accessing these spaces using an alcohol-based antiseptic solution that will be available at the access point of all HIPPOtrip facilities/vehicles;
e) Capacity restrictions aboard HIPPOtrip vehicles will be complied with (max of 24 passengers per tour) in order to ensure social distancing between passengers of different reservations;
f) The seats inside the vehicles are numbered and will be allocated to each reservation by a HIPPOtrip staff member at time of boarding; HIPPOtrip reserves the right to refuse permanence inside the vehicle to any CUSTOMER who refuses to occupy the assigned seats;
g) All HIPPOtrip facilities/vehicles will be sanitized regularly according to guidelines issued by the Portuguese Ministry of Health (DGS), including the vehicle’s customer touch points after each tour;
h) HIPPOtrip Hop On Hop Off shuttle service is suspended until further notice.
7. Children under two years of age are not allowed aboard HIPPOtrip vehicles. Children (2-16 years of age) are also not allowed without being accompanied by an adult or senior. To meet the requirement of this paragraph, each adult or senior can monitor up to a maximum of 5 children.
8. HIPPOtrip reserves the right to ask for identification of any passenger in order to confirm that the purchased ticket is in accordance with the passenger’s age. If the legitimacy of the ticket cannot be confirmed, HIPPOtrip reserves the right to refuse access to its vehicle and the CUSTOMER will not be entitled to any refund.
9. HIPPOtrip reserves the right to refuse access to its vehicles or even expel during the tour, any passenger who, in the opinion of HIPPOtrip staff, is causing a disturbance, repeatedly ignoring HIPPOtrip staff instructions, or jeopardizing the safety of other passengers. In these situations, the CUSTOMER will not be entitled to any refund.
10. For safety reasons in the case of an emergency, HIPPOtrip reserves the right to refuse access aboard its amphibious vehicles to any passenger who can not enter the vehicle by his/her own means without the help of other people at the time of boarding. In these situations, the CUSTOMER will not be entitled to any refund.
11. CUSTOMERS are not allowed to bring luggage or other bulky items aboard the amphibious vehicles. These objects can be left at the HIPPOtrip ticket office during the tour, but HIPPOtrip is not responsible for any damages or losses of any nature to these objects.
12. The consumption of food or beverages aboard the amphibious vehicle (with the exception of water in plastic bottles) is not allowed.
13. Animals will not be allowed aboard the vehicles except under the following conditions:
a) If properly enclosed in an appropriate container, which must be good condition and clean; the container must be transported as hand luggage and cannot occupy any seat;
b) Guide dogs, provided that the CUSTOMER presents proof of their certification, under the terms of Decree-Law no. 74/2007, of 27 March.
14. Due to maritime safety regulation, the side walls of the amphibious vehicles are high and may limit visibility to some children. The CUSTOMER is allowed to bring a booster seat aboard the amphibious vehicles for use by children as long as each booster seat is “Type 3”, which can be fastened to the seats with a 2-point seat belt.
15. HIPPOtrip reserves the right to change the tour route as described in the website www.hippotrip.com, replacing it by a similar one in case of traffic constraints, road closures or any other restrictions beyond its control. In these situations, the CUSTOMER will not be entitled to any refund.
16. HIPPOtrip reserves the right to suspend the maritime portion of the tour route described on the website www.hippotrip.com for reasons of adverse weather conditions, tidal currents, excessive maritime agitation, or any eventual roadway constraints/restrictions that limit access to the water entry ramp and/or jeopardize passenger safety. In these situations, the CUSTOMER may request a refund up to 50% of the price paid for the tickets via e-mail to email@example.com or in person at any HIPPOtrip ticket office. Upon verification, HIPPOtrip will then provide the refund within 30 days by the same method of payment used for the purchase procedure.
17. If HIPPOtrip is unable to complete a tour as described in the website www.hippotrip.com, and if the two preceding paragraphs are not applicable, the CUSTOMER shall be entitled to a full refund, but may not claim any other compensation or damages.
18. HIPPOtrip will take all measures within its power to ensure that the tours finish at the scheduled time. However, HIPPOtrip assumes no liability for any inconvenience or direct/indirect damage caused to the CUSTOMER by potential delays.
19. HIPPOtrip is not responsible for any object that is left, lost or stolen in the vehicle or in any of its facilities. However, HIPPOtrip will take every step within its power to ensure that any object found will be kept at the departure point ticket office for a maximum period of 30 days.
1. Online payments are only possible using a debit or credit card (VISA, Mastercard, Maestro or American Express). The CUSTOMER must follow the instructions transmitted during the ticket purchase procedure. For in person sales, cash and Multibanco (ATM) payments are also accepted.
2. HIPPOtrip declares that all bank details entered by the CUSTOMER during the ticket purchase procedure are not stored in its computer applications and is only intended to charge for the services acquired via the Stripe online payment platform.
Following payment confirmation, HIPPOtrip will issue an invoice that will be sent via email to the CUSTOMER by the end of the day for both online and in person ticket sales. If for any reason the CUSTOMER does not receive the invoice in the aforementioned timeframe, then please contact HIPPOtrip by email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to confirm the CUSTOMER fiscal identification details and email address.
1. All communications by the CUSTOMER to HIPPOtrip related to these Terms and Conditions must be sent by email to email@example.com.
2. All communications by HIPPOtrip to the CUSTOMER related to these Terms and Conditions must be sent to the email indicated at the time of the ticket purchase. Any alteration to the email address must be communicated to HIPPOtrip by the CUSTOMER.
3. If the CUSTOMER does not comply with the preceding paragraph, then the communications sent by HIPPOtrip to the email originally indicated will be deemed to be validly delivered.
Any content or personal data provided by the CUSTOMER in the ticket purchase process shall be subject to the Privacy and Personal Data Protection Policy defined by HIPPOtrip, which is available for review via the website www.hippotrip.com
HIPPOtrip is not responsible for any losses or damages incurred by the CUSTOMER and / or third parties arising from:
1. Access and use, or inability to access and use, content on the website www.hippotrip.com or the HIPPOtrip telephone answering system;
2. Delays, interruptions, errors and suspension of communications and loss of information;
3. Damages caused by third parties or by server attacks to the website www.hippotrip.com or to the HIPPOtrip telephone answering system, which may affect the quality of its services;
4. Deficiencies or shortcomings in the communication networks, as well as those caused by the computer system, modems, connection software, and/or any computer virus that may affect the software and/or equipment belonging to the CUSTOMER, for instance when appropriate software protection is not installed.
5. Failure to capture, view or use the HIPPOtrip website and/or the telephone answering system;
6. Unauthorized use of HIPPOtrip software, equipment and/or facilities;
7. Causes of force majeure, such as unforeseeable and unavoidable situations, or even when predictable inevitable, among which, merely for illustration purposes: strikes or labor disputes that prevent or hinder the provision of services sold, accidents, fires, floods, earthquakes, pandemics, wars, trade embargoes, or any kind of legislative change.
8. The CUSTOMER is responsible for his or her personal data and eventual updating thereof, and he or she shall also ensure its confidentiality.
9. In case of improper or fraudulent use of the website www.hippotrip.com or its telephone answering system, and regardless of the legal procedures applicable to the case at issue, HIPPOtrip reserves the right to terminate the registration of the Customer and cancel usage of the purchased service.
1. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Law of Portugal.
2. The district court of Lisbon shall have jurisdiction in any dispute relating to this contract, with express waiver of any other jurisdiction.